Smash Gyms Women Self-Defense Program combines Krav Maga, Mixed Martial Arts, and Jiu-Jitsu instruction for best and most comprehensive women’s program in the Bay Area. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is often overlooked but completely necessary for self-defense training.
Below are 7 key Reasons why Brazilian Jiu-jitsu should be a part of a woman’s self defense training:
1) In the situation in which a woman is forced to defend herself against a man, it is unlikely that the goal of the man will be to trade strikes like boxing or kickboxing style match. In the event of a sexual assault, an assailant will most likely attempt to coerce or force a woman from a standing position to being onto her back or prone.
2) The assailant will most likely want to control the situation using his size and strength, especially if the male assailant does not have a weapon. This generally leads to a grappling situation.
3) In BJJ, the “guard” is the position in which an individual is on their back with an opponent between their legs. The average untrained person would consider that to be one of the worst positions to be in, however, it is considered a superior position of control in BJJ where countless techniques can be applied.
4) BJJ techniques are based upon manipulating the structure of the human body. This means that the effectiveness of techniques is not dependent on an opponent’s pain tolerance which can be unpredictable.
5) Grappling in BJJ allows students to feel full uncooperative resistance from training partners on a regular basis. Every single person who has never felt such energy and resistance exerted upon them tends to immediately become extremely tense, panic, and forget everything they have been taught. In addition, the adrenaline rush and crash tends to cause most untrained people to become completely exhausted in a very short period of time regardless of their fitness level. BJJ training teaches students to relax more and be able to think clearer in such a situation.
6) If you train BJJ you will build confidence. Predators are looking for victims not confident martial artist. The effectiveness of BJJ helps it’s practitioners build realistic confidence like no other art. Every woman that trains Jiu-Jitsu long enough will learn to control and force bigger, stronger men to submit. This helps a person carry the confidence to deter any assailant.
7) BJJ is great for fitness and weight loss. Individuals that begin training Jiu-jitsu a few times a week can lose 30lbs in two months. Several of our students have transformed their bodies by consistently training 3-4 times a week.
A well rounded self-defense program should include training for situations standing up as well as the ground. For women, it is often best to be able to remain standing and create an opportunity that will allow them to flee. For an untrained individual, being on the ground is usually one of the most uncomfortable situations to deal with, but the addition of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu training can allow women to overcome the difficultly of being on the ground in an effective manner.
Smash Gyms’ World-Class BJJ instruction combined with our exceptional Krav Maga program will prepare you for every self-defense situation.
We offer day and evening classes 7 days a week. Women’s Only Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is on Sundays at 10am. Please see the link below to sign up for a free week.
FREE WOMEN’S SELF-DEFENSE